Welcome to the hurghadaexcursion website. In this article, we will learn about the most important marine creatures and fish in the Red Sea and the best diving spots in Egypt’s resorts Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Marsa Alam, Taba and Dahab
red sea fish
Veneficae tentacles | The famous eel | Red sea fish | The best place for diving in Egypt
Discover lifestyle, nutrition, description and species of eel
The witch fish is a strange looking fish. They also lack the presence of both the upper and lower jaws and resemble snakes.
Its scientific name is Myxinidae, and it belongs to the family Myxinidae.
Described in 1899 by world scientist and researcher Samuel Germann, it is a species of subtropical marine viper that is found largely in the eastern central and northwestern Pacific Ocean, including the coasts of Mexico, Nicaragua, Japan and the United States.
It lives in the Indian Ocean, and the Red Sea in Egypt has a large number of its members around coral reefs.
The witch fish lives in the medium depths water range at a depth of approximately 100 to 500 meters (330 to 1,640 feet), but it may dive deeper into the water.
The Necho witch fish can reach a maximum length of about 90.0 cm (35.4 in).
Characteristics of a charming fish
red sea fish
This charming fish has a naked body and has a large number of mucous glands directly on its skin.
Its skeleton consists of a large percentage of cartilage.
As mentioned earlier, this charming fish does not have an upper or lower jaw, but only one nostril.
Their bodies develop on the bottom of the seas and oceans, therefore, for the most part, they cannot have very developed eyes.
Therefore, this does not help them to get a clear or sufficient view of the surrounding aquatic environment, and therefore it finds it difficult to identify its victims easily.
Most of the individuals of this charming fish are very extinct due to their poor development and cannot keep up with the surrounding environment.
As it is clear that a fish without a jaw or an eye and therefore a severe impairment of vision, gives it little information about the environment around it, and thus finds it difficult to hunt its prey.
These fish mostly feed on the blood of other fish, and can also feed on carcasses or even dying fish.
Therefore, this fish is considered one of the most primitive fish that exists now, and this is a good and convincing reason for its imminent extinction.
red sea fish
Although it is one of the backward primitive animals, it is one of the main species and components that must be present in the environment of marine systems. Its main role in marine life is to «recycle» organic matter in the water.
Since there are very large quantities of these animals on the sea floor and feed mainly on carcasses, they use and replenish decomposing organic matter and thus clean the ocean floor.
Explorer Red Sea Marine Life, Red Sea Fish, Red Sea Corals from Best Scuba Diving Egypt Packages and Swim with Dolphins, Dolphin House Hurghada, Orange Bay Hurghada, Mahmya Island Hurghada, Diving Center Hurghada, Paradise Island Hurghada with Dolphins in Egypt by Snorkeling Egypt Boat Trips from Egypt Tours, Egypt’s travel guide.
red sea fish
Feeding Veneficae tentaculata
All members of witch fish feed on dead carrion with distinction and great efficiency, as they are opportunistic insects as they feed on any carcasses that get in their way.
All types of carrion and discards are considered fisheries because they are good food for witch fish.
Despite this, due to the large presence of these aquatic animals and their concentration on the sea floor, it makes no sense for these fish to feed only on carrion.
Some recent studies have proven that all benthic invertebrates and shrimp are found in this charming fish, as well as some polychaete worms.
But although there is enough information so far believed to be sufficient about the nutrition of this species, it is not yet known how this species can prey on the animals that eat it.
However, it is known about feeding these fish that they prefer to catch any dead or dying fish with their tongue.
As it is able to enter the body of the prey to eat it from the inside.
When its fish prey dies, it seizes this opportunity and begins to eat its guts while the prey is still alive.
These types of fish can also eat large amounts of up to several times their weight in a very short period of time.
red sea fish
habitat Veneficae tentaculata
- These charming fish usually live in all seas, provided that the temperatures in them are moderate.
- But the most famous fish of these witches prefer to live in the waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the waters of the Red Sea, and their length reaches almost half a meter.
- Witch fish feeds on some dead or dying fish, often preferring those fish that have already died.
- This fish prefers to pierce them using its strong tongue and teeth as well. It eats meat and sucks blood.
- One of the most important characteristics that make these witch fish special and unique is the slime they are famous for.
- This slime is a gelatinous substance that coats the fish and we release it in large quantities when the witch fish are stressed.
- The only reason behind their slime is protection, this slime is used by these witch fish to defend themselves against any other predators trying to hunt them.
- When this charming fish feels that any tooth is approaching its skin, it causes its gills to become clogged with the mucus it secretes.
red sea fish
- In fact, it has never been easy to establish whether this viscous mucus is toxic or not, although researchers believe it is.
- This slime is probably made up of both water and amino acids plus a small amount of protein filaments.
- Thanks to its soft, rubbery body, it can pass through any of those confined spaces so that it can fend for itself and can escape from sharks.
- In addition, if they were actually ingested by any of their predators, the gills of this slime they secreted would engulf them from the inside in such a big and hideous way that they would spit them out unharmed and they would at that time be able to escape.
skin and composition Veneficae tentaculata
- Under the skin of this charming fish there is a semi-cavity filled mostly with blood, but there is a large empty space.
- It is believed that due to the presence of that empty space, the thickness of the magician can easily increase the amount of slime he can make up to almost 35% before filling it completely.
- To confirm this belief, scientists conducted a study in which they simulated and imitated a shark bite on those fish using a machine that closely resembles the guillotine of the teeth of this shark.
- When this happens, the witch-fish’s skin flexes around the tooth, giving all the other organs plenty of room to break out of this path of attack.
- However, when this same skin happens to be attached directly to the muscles of the dead fish on which it will be feeding, the tooth can easily be punctured.
- These witch fish can make knots using their bodies because of their bare skin in addition to being loose.
- This helps them to make up for their shortcoming of not having a jaw, as they can easily by twisting knot events, they will not rip the flesh from the parsed dead carcasses and thus easier to feed on.
red sea fish
Benefit from Egypt trips at the best prices in ancient Egypt and the life of the Egyptian kings of the pharaohs by booking the best tour of the pyramids of Egypt and tour packages in Egypt, Luxor Nile cruise, and Luxor, Aswan and Luxor day tour packages for family, honeymoon and holidays from the best travel agency in Egypt and Egypt Tours.